23rd March 1931: Shaheed
|23rd March 1931: Shaheed|
|Directed by||Guddu Dhanoa|
|Written by||Sutanu Gupta (screenplay)|
Sanjay Masoom (dialogue)
|Music by||Anand Raj Anand|
|Editing by||Keshav Naidu|
|Release date(s)||June 7,
|Running time||188 min.|
23rd March 1931: Shaheed is a 2002 Hindi film directed by Guddu Dhanoa which depicts the events leading up to the hanging of Indian freedom fighter Bhagat Singh and his companions during the Indian independence movement. The film stars Bobby Deol as Bhagat Singh, his elder brother Sunny Deol as Chandrashekhar Azad and Amrita Singh as Bhagat Singh's mother. Aishwarya Rai has a special appearance in a song.
Set in 1931, British India,
the film tells the story of freedom fighters Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad who have only motive in mind: Freedom for India. They set about doing this task together with two other men, Sukhdev and Rajguru. Bhagat Singh is enraged when his mentor Lala Lajpatrai is mercilessly beaten to death by the police, and he sets about to avenge his death. He and his colleagues do succeed in killing one of the officials responsible, but they are identified and as a result Bhagat and Rajguru are arrested and held in prison where they are tortured relentlessly. When produced in Court, they dramatically admit to the killing and state that it was done in the name of Freedom. The Judge and the Public Prosecutor do not see it that their way and they are sentenced to life in prison. Bhagat's mother, Vidya, comes to meet him in prison, and he goes to greet her, shackled in chains from head to toe, and he foretells that India will continue to suffer, even after Independence from the British, and that he will return in another birth to free his motherland. Subsequently, all four are charged with a more serious crime - treason and assassination - a crime that is punishable by death.
- Bobby Deol .... Bhagat Singh
- Sunny Deol .... Chandrashekhar Azad
- Amrita Singh ... Vidya (Bhagat Singh's mother)
- Rahul Dev .... Sukhdev
- Vicki Ahuja .... Rajguru
- Shakti Kapoor .... Chattar Singh
- Aishwarya Rai .... Special appearance (song)
- This is the second time real-life brothers Sunny and Bobby Deol appear in a film together after Dillagi.
- The film marks the comeback of Amrita Singh who returned to acting after 10 years.
- The film's release coincided with another film based on Bhagat Singh directed by Rajkumar Santoshi titled The Legend of Bhagat Singh. Both films unfortunately failed at the box office. .