|Produced by||Ganesh Jain|
|Written by||Robin Bhatt,
|Music by||Anu Malik|
|Distributed by||United Seven Creations|
|Release date(s)||November 12, 1993|
|Running time||175 min.|
Baazigar (Hindi: बाज़ीगर, Urdu: بازی گر, translation: "Magician") is a 1993 Hindi film directed by Abbas-Mustan. It is a contemporary thriller about a young man who stops at nothing to get revenge. It was based on the Hollywood thriller A Kiss Before Dying.
Madan Chopra (Dalip Tahil) is a predatory businessman who won his fortune by betraying his benefactor, Mr. Sharma. Chopra takes the Sharma businesses and fortune and evicts the Sharmas from their mansion. He also offers to make Mrs. Sharma his mistress! Mr. Sharma dies, his daughter dies, and Mrs. Sharma (Raakhee) lapses into a catatonic paralysis. Their son, Ajay Sharma (Shahrukh Khan), vows revenge on the man who destroyed his family.
All this is told in snippets of flashback as we follow the adventures of Ajay, who stops at nothing to make his way into the good graces of the Chopras, the better to take his revenge. He romances, then kills Seema Chopra (Shilpa Shetty), Madan's oldest daughter. He then sets his sights on Priya (Kajol), the second daughter, and succeeds in winning her heart. However, some are starting to suspect that he was the mysterious lover who may have been involved in Seema's death. Ajay proves willing to kill complete innocents to conceal the first murder and further his plot. Will he succeed in his revenge? Should he succeed, given that he is pursuing a dubious end with utter ferocity?
- Dalip Tahil as Madan Chopra
- Kajol as Priya M. Chopra
- Shilpa Shetty as Seema Chopra
- Sushant Ray as Inspector Karan
- Shahrukh Khan as Ajay Sharma/Vicky Malhotra
- Filmfare Award - Best Actor (Shahrukh Khan)
- Filmfare Award - Best Male Playback Singer (Kumar Sanu)
- Filmfare Award - Best Music Direction (Anu Malik)
- Filmfare Award - Best Screenplay Award
- The film shocked its Indian audience with an unexpected violation of the standard Bollywood formula: The hero murders the innocent heroine. However, this film with an ambiguous hero did well at the box office.
- Johnny Lever plays a comic servant.
- This was Shahrukh Khan's first movie as a villain and also Shilpa Shetty's debut film.
- Akshay Kumar was initially offered the role of Baazigar, but turned it down because the hero was a murderer. Arbaaz Khan turned it down for the same reason. Arbaaz Khan later played a full-on villain in Abbas-Mustan's Daraar (1996). Ironically, Darrar also starred a woman named Priya.