|Directed by||J. P. Dutta|
|Produced by||J. P. Dutta|
|Language||Hindi / English /
Punjabi / Rajasthani
Border is a 1997 Bollywood war film based on the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. J. P. Dutta directed and produced this war epic which stars Sunny Deol, Jackie Shroff, Sunil Shetty, Akshaye Khanna, Pooja Bhatt, Sharbani Mukherjee and Tabu.
The movie won numerous awards including Best Film at the Filmfare awards. Director J.P.Dutta won Best Director at the same award function and father O.P.Dutta, won Best Dialogues.
The movie is an adaptation from real life events that happened at the Battle of Longewala fought in Rajasthan (Western Theatre) during the 1971 Indo-Pak war. It is about how a band of 120 soldiers of the Punjab regiment of the Indian Army headed by Major Kuldip Singh Chandpuri successfully defended their post all night against a whole Tank regiment of the Pakistani Army, until assistance came from the Indian Air Force the next morning.
- Sunny Deol - Major Kuldip Singh Chandpuri a gujjar lad
- Jackie Shroff - Wing Commander Andy Bawa
- Suniel Shetty - Captain Bairhav Singh, B.S.F.
- Akshaye Khanna - 2nd Lt.Dharamvir
- Sudhesh Berry - Subedar Mathura Das
- Puneet Issar - Subedar Ratan Singh
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda - Sowar Bhagiram
- Battle of Longewala fought in Rajasthan (Western Theatre) during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971
- Kuldip Singh Chandpuri, Major (later Brigadier) of Punjab Regiment whose role has been played by Sunny Deol in this movie.
- LOC Kargil, a 2003 Bollywood war film based on "Kargil War" or the "Indo-Pakistani War of 1999", also directed by J.P.Dutta