|Directed by||Mahesh Bhatt|
|Produced by||Hiroo Johar; Yash Johar; Karan Johar|
|Written by||Robin Bhatt,
|Music by||Anu Malik,
|Distributed by||Dharma Productions|
|Running time||164 min|
Duplicate is an Indian Bollywood movie released on May 8, 1998. The movie was directed by Mahesh Bhatt and stars Shahrukh Khan in a double role opposite Juhi Chawla and Sonali Bendre. It was produced by Karan Johar's Dharma Productions and marks Shahrukh Khans first of four collaboration with the production company.
Bablu Chaudhary (Shahrukh Khan) is an aspiring cook in search for a job. He applies for an open position in a hotel, where he meets Sonia Kapoor (Juhi Chawla), who is the Banquet Manager. They are soon attracted to each other and Bablu falls in love with her. However, one day, the police arrives at his doorstep, arresting him - Bablu is the exact duplicate of Manu Dada, an infamous criminal, who is in search for money which was stolen from him. When Manu learns of his duplicate, he decides to switch roles with him and kill him in order to start his own life from anew. However, when Manu kidnaps Mrs. Chaudhary, Bablo's mother (Farida Jalal), Bablu accepts the identity of Manu in order to rescue both his mother and Sonia, who has gotten involved, too. With the help of the police and Manu's girlfriend Lily (Sonali Bendre), who has fallen out of love with Manu and back again with Bablu, the cook is able to rescue his dear ones and all ends well.
Cast and characters
|Character's name||Played by|
|Dual Role (Bablu Chaudry/Manu Dada)||Shahrukh Khan|
|Sonia Kapoor||Juhi Chawla|
|Ravi Lamba||Mohnish Behl|
|Inspector R.K Thakur||Tiku Talsania|
|Gappa||Rana Jung Bahadur|
|Special Appearance||Viswajeet Pradhan|
|Girl on railway station||Kajol|
- Mere Mehboob Mere Sanam (Udit Narayan & Alka Yagnik)
- Kathai Ankhonwali (Kumar Sanu)
- Ladna Jhagadna (Abhijeet & Kavita Krishnamurthy)
- Theme Music (Instrumental)
- Tum Nahin Jana (Alka Yagnik & Udit Narayan)
- Wah Ji Wah (Kumar Sanu)
- Ek Shararat Hone Ko Hai (Kumar Sanu & Kavita Krishnamurthy)
- Kajol, who has played opposite Shahrukh Khan in the successful movie Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge can be seen as an unknown girl on the exact same railway station as in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (The song Tujhe dekha from Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is played in the background). When Khan's character Bablu asks her if she wants to marry him she refrains in the exact same way as in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and leaves screen, calling for a man called Raj, presumably the same Raj from Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, also played by Shahrukh Khan.
- This is the first of three films in which Shahrukh Khan plays a dual role. He later played dual roles in Paheli and Don - The Chase Begins Again.
- Bablu always calls his mother "Bebe"
- Juhi Chawla's mother was killed in Prague by a driver who ran over her with his car during the shooting of this movie.