Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
|Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai|
Movie poster for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
|Directed by||Rakesh Roshan|
|Produced by||Rakesh Roshan|
|Written by||Rakesh Roshan; Ravi Kapoor; Honey Irani; Sagar Sarhadi|
|Music by||Rajesh Roshan|
|Editing by||Sanjay Verma|
|Distributed by||Film Kraft|
|Release date(s)||January 14, 2000|
|Running time||172 mins|
Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai (Say This Is Love (in English) (2000) is an Indian (Bollywood) blockbuster movie directed by Rakesh Roshan. It focuses on the strange coincidence of two strangers looking physically alike. One of them is shot dead owing to conspiracy hatched by corrupt police in India and the other flies in to India from New Zealand to help find his killers.
The movie stars Hrithik Roshan in a dual role, and Amisha Patel and Anupam Kher. This movie was Hrithik Roshan's debut and the movie which made him an instant star in Bollywood. Not only did this movie launch Hrithik's career, but it also launched the careers of the actress Amisha Patel and the singer Lucky Ali. The film was a fan favourite, with crowd-pleasing song and dance numbers like "Ek Pal Ka Jeena," a BMW Z3 cruising through scenic locations of New Zealand, and star-power of Lucky Ali.
This film although cannot be called an original as it is loosely based on tamil movie Love Birds (film)
Rohit (Hrithik Roshan) is an aspiring singer who meets Sonia Saxena (Amisha Patel). They end up going on a cruise together and eventually get stranded on a deserted island. They eventually fall deeply in love but her father (Anupam Kher) is bitterly opposed to their relationship. Unfortunately for Rohit he is killed by two corrupt policemen. Sonia goes into depression so her father sends her to New Zealand to her cousin to recover and get over Rohit.
When she reaches there she sees someone who looks like Rohit, but is known as Raj (also Hrithik Roshan). Sonia and Raj soon meet and he falls in love with her. But she doesn't return his love back, because she knows that her one true love is dead, and seeing someone's face which is so similar is just too painful. They go to India together but as soon as they leave the airport, Raj is shot. Soon, the two begin to question whether Rohit's death was an accident or a murder. They figure out Rohit was murdered. So, Raj and Sonia's friends make-up a plan to find Rohit's killers. But the plan backfires and the murderers kidnap Sonia. Raj comes to the rescue and saves her. Then and there, he figures out who Rohit's killers are and surprisingly one of their accomplices is Sonia's father. Eventually, all ends well with the bad guys gone to jail, Raj and Sonia getting married(Sonia finally falls in love with Raj), and Rohit's soul finally resting in peace, but is never forgotten....
- Hrithik Roshan ... Rohit/Raj Chopra
- Amisha Patel ... Sonia Saxena
- Anupam Kher ... Mr.Saxena/Sirjee
- Mohnish Behl ... Insp. Kadam (as Mohnish Behl)
- Ashish Vidhyarthi ... Insp. Shinde
- Satish Shah ... Rohit's landlord
- Farida Jalal ... Lily (Rohit's landlady)
2000 Filmfare Awards
The film was nominated for ten Filmfare Awards. Ibrahim Ashq for "Na Tum Jaano" was nominated for "Best Lyricist" but did not win. Ultimately it won nine awards:
- Best Actor - Hrithik Roshan
- Best Debut - Hrithik Roshan
- Best Movie - Rakesh Roshan
- Best Director - Rakesh Roshan
- Best Choreography - Farah Khan for "Ek Pal Ka Jeena"
- Best Editing - Sanjay Verma
- Best Music Director - Rajesh Roshan
- Best Male Playback - Lucky Ali for "Na Tum Jaano"
- Best Screenplay - Ravi Kapoor and Honey Irani
- Amisha Patel is the daughter of Rakesh Roshan's friend. In an interview for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai Rakesh said that he had always thought Amisha would make a talented actress, and he hand chose her for the role of Sonia in Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai.
- The actress that plays Raj's mother is Amisha Patel's real life mother, Asha Patel.
- It entered the Limca Book of Records in 2003 for the most number of Awards won by a Bollywood Film - 102 awards.