|Directed by||Aditya Chopra|
|Produced by||Aditya Chopra,
|Written by||Aditya Chopra|
|Music by||Jatin Pandit,
|Distributed by||Yash Raj Films Pvt. Ltd|
|Release date(s)||October 27, 2000|
|Running time||218 mins|
Three young men arrive at a famous private school in India, Gurukul.
Gurukul is run by a stern headmaster named Narayan Shankar, played by Amitabh Bachchan. The headmaster has instituted a strict anti-romance policy. Students are there to learn, he says, not to party and flirt. Students who become romantically involved will be expelled.
The three of them all have their hearts set on different girls. Sameer (Jugal Hansraj) works in a cafe and is in love with his long time friend Sanjana (Kim Sharma). Unfortunately for Sameer, she has a boyfriend. Vikram (Uday Chopra) accidentally bumps into Ishika (Shamita Shetty) when he catches her stealing apples from the Gurukul gardens, and falls in love at first sight. Karan (Jimmy Shergill) sees Kiran (Preeti Jhangiani) on a hill when he is waiting for a train. The three of them, encouraged by Raj Malhotra (Shahrukh Khan), follow their hearts and break the rules of the school.
As the story unravels, the three boys fall in love and the relationship between the headmaster and the music teacher begins to become strained. Much to the chagrin of the headmaster, Raj begins to implement many changes. It is revealed the Raj was once also a student in Gurukul, who fell in love with the headmasters daughter, Megha played by Aishwarya Rai. When Narayan found out he banned them from seeing each other, and after Megha tried consoling her father she became upset and ultimately committed suicide by throwing herself out the window.
This tragic experience inspired Raj to spread love throughout Gurukul, and in the end, Narayan Shankar realizes that love and change are necessary.
Main article: Mohabbatein Music
Lyrics including English translations for the following songs are available at Bollychat
- Amitabh Bachchan as Narayan Shankar
- Shahrukh Khan as Raj Aryan Malhotra
- Uday Chopra as Vikram Kapoor/Oberoi
- Jugal Hansraj as Sameer Sharma
- Jimmy Shergill as Karan Choudhry
- Shamita Shetty as Ishika Dhanrajgir
- Kim Sharma as Sanjana
- Preeti Jhangiani as Kiran
- Raman Lamba as Deepak (sanjana's boyfriend)
- Aishwarya Rai as Megha
- Helen, a dancer who is fondly remembered by Bollywood fans for her many appearances in classic movies of the 1970s and 1980s, makes a special guest appearance as Miss Monica, the head of the local girls' school.
- Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance shahrukh khan
- Filmfare Award - Best Supporting Actor (Amitabh Bachchan)
- IIFA Awards - Best Costume Design
- IIFA Awards - Best Story
- Screen Award - Best Lyrics
- Sansui Viewer Choice Movie Awards - Best Actor (Shahrukh Khan)
- Jugal Hansraj, who plays Sameer, broke his foot during the filming of the song "Aankhein Khuli Ho." He was trying to leap over another actor.
- Esha Deol,the daughter of famous bollywood actress Hema Malini,was initially offered a role in the film which would mark her debut. But she refused it paving way for Koi Mere Dil Se Poochhe to be her debut film.
- This was the first film of Shweta Pandit, Sonali Bhatawdekar, Pritha Mazumdar, Udhbav, Manohar Shetty & Ishaan, all of whom were new to the art of playback singing. Yash Chopra wanted fresh voices for the fresh faces he was using to portray the three young couples.
- On January 9th 2007's episode of The Colbert Report, during the "We the Mediator" segment. Stephen Colbert mentions the New Year's feud between Khan and Bachchan. By botching the names of the other stars who arrived at Bachchan's party, he decided to judge the winner by viewing clips from Mohabbatein (he pronounced as "Mohabah-tee-yahn")and from Khan's dancing to Bachachan's angry look clips, the undisputed winner was Khan. Stephen Colbert described Khan as "Dilip Kumar" to Bachchan's "Raj Kapoor."
- In one scene set in the headmaster's office, we see rain and hear thunder. But when the music teacher walks outside, just after the interview, the sky is clear and there are no signs that rain has fallen recently.